Site preparation for the McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant is underway. The contractor, Harbour Resource Partners, will conduct controlled blasting and excavation as a part of this work.
Subject to receiving approval of the building permit from the Township of Esquimalt, excavation work is expected to begin in early June, with blasting starting in mid-June, and will take approximately four months to complete.
What to Expect:
- Fencing will be installed prior to excavation and blasting
- Heavy equipment will be used
- No street closures will be required
- On average 30 trucks per day (roundtrips) hauling excavated material from the site
- Blasting will occur approximately 2-4 times per day, with each blast lasting less than 60 seconds.
- All blasts will be covered with 5,000 pound blast mats. Blasting signs will be posted on the site boundary, and warning signals will be used as follows:
- 12 short whistles at one second intervals followed by a two minute pause
- Blast will be detonated
- One long whistle signals all is clear
Work Hours: Blasting Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Excavation Hours: Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
The Wastewater Treatment Plant includes construction of a cross-harbour undersea pipe from Ogden Point to McLoughlin Point. More information on the directional drilling and timing will be provided in a subsequent notice.