There are a lot of great colleges, universities and schools in Greater Victoria and on Southern Vancouver Island.
In Greater Victoria and Southern Vancouver Island, there are five public school districts that offer English, French Immersion, and French education programs. Each district provides service to their local catchment area. The area that you live in will determine the school district your child attends. Victoria also has many private educational institutes for families to choose from. In the Province of British Columbia, public education is available to students from kindergarten to Grade 12.
|Area||School District||Communities Served|
|Cowichan Valley||79||Youbou, Duncan, Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Mill Bay, and Chemainus|
|Greater Victoria||61||Victoria, View Royal, parts of Saanich, Esquimalt, and part of the Highlands [MAP]|
|Nanaimo-Ladysmith||68||Nanaimo, Ladysmith, Lantzville, Gabriola Island, and Cedar|
|Saanich||63||North and Central Saanich, Sidney|
|Sooke||62||Sooke, Port Renfrew, Metchosin, Colwood, Langford, and part of the Highlands (includes John Stubbs in Belmont Park)|
|French||93||Esquimalt, Oak Bay|
- Montessori Schools for Vancouver Island
- Private Schools
A listing of Private Schools on Vancouver Island
- South Island Distance Education School
- In British Columbia, a child is eligible to start kindergarten in the calendar year of their 5th birthday
- In British Columbia, full-day kindergarten is available to all students
- French Immersion is a popular choice and there may be wait lists in the elementary grades
- Schools at the Middle School or High School level may have special interest programs within the school, such as academies for soccer, hockey, baseball, and dance; as well as culinary arts, technology and the trades. It may be possible to enroll across district.
- Important: school registration starts in early February. It is important to contact schools early, particularly if you are considering French Immersion, a Sports Academy, or you have a child with special needs.