The MFRC has resources to meet the unique demands of raising children in the military lifestyle. It’s about getting quality care, support and resources in an environment that understands the lifestyle.
- Before the deployment, spend time with your family and have fun. Doing things you enjoy will lower stress and build happy memories.
- Take time to talk through your concerns about the deployment with your partner. Use a positive problem-solving approach together as you address each item.
- Keep journals to share with each other after deployment, or you can each use a small box to gather memories: ticket stubs, coins, short notes, and clippings.
- Send mail to each other often: postcards, pictures, email, and small packages. Have cards, paper & tape handy and pick up items when you are shopping.
- Express appreciation and affection to each other for your extra effort in staying involved: for the parent who is away, the parent/caregiver at home, and the child.
Or view it on ISSUU:
Be sure to check out these episodes of The Military Lifestyle podcast that deal with children.
Helping Children with Stress
Stress can impact anyone, including kids of all ages, but it can be managed and you can help your child through the process. The discussion talks about what stress is for a military-connected child, what it might look like and a few strategies to deal with it. Special guest: Dr. Linda Scott.
Parenting from Afar
If you have kids and work takes you away for lengthy periods of time, you are parenting from afar. Let’s explore some things you can do before, during and after the experience to make things better. Special guest: Tracy Beck, MFRC Deployment Workshop Facilitator.
Promoting Health with Kids
The military lifestyle can be hard on kids, especially when part of their support system is away. Maintaining good physical and mental health is so important. Let’s examine the factors for good health and some things for you to do to set your military-connected child up for life. Special guest: Maryse Neilson, Health Promotion Manager at CFB Esquimalt.